Login Problems (Scroll down for Troubleshooting hints)
IMPORTANT! Check Error Messages! The first thing to do is see what error message you get (above the logins, in red) as this will help you diagnose the problem.
Login Failed Message
If you get a message that says "Login Failed" your login is incorrect, or you have mistyped it. The two most common errors are:
If you see an error message that says "All licenses purchased by your school are being used. No additional players can log on. Contact your Team Leader or Principal. To purchase additional licenses, click here" it means that your school has used up all of the User IDs it purchased, so no more players can sign on. Please contact your child's FIM Team Leader (Teacher).
Can't Log In
If you are attempting to log in but cannot type on the Login page or do not see images on the Login page, your computer, software or browser may be too old to function with the First In Math site. Click here to view our Minimum System Requirements. The site is intended to function on hardware manufactured after 2003.
Bounce-back to Login Page
If you are bounced back to the login page immediately, it is usually a problem with "Cookies." Another security setting or Firewall can also be the culprit. Our servers have to be able to receive data from your computer in order to record the number of stickers earned and track the progress of game play, and "security" settings can interfere by blocking the information transfer. (We do not collect or Store Any Personal information about you—we simply track the player's progress through their User ID and Password.)
1. Be sure your computer’s Internet browser is set to ALLOW cookies, or you will not be able to log in. If you have your browser security level set to NOT accept cookies, you can manually add www.firstinmath.com to your "accept" list. Here is how:
2. AOL users: There may be compatibility issues with AOL and Flash Player. If you connect to the internet with AOL, you may need to switch to an alternate browser, such as Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome or Firefox to play games on the First In Math® site)
Not Earning Stickers
1. FLASH SETTINGS: Adobe Flash Player version10 or higher software is required to use the "Play Game" portions of this site. If you see the message "CHECKING FOR FLASH PLUG-IN" you do not have Flash, or have an older version. Go to the Adobe site (http://www.adobe.com) for a free download. IMPORTANT: After the file has downloaded to your computer, you may need to INSTALL IT on your system. During the installation process, the Flash Player may need to be configured for the browser you are using—follow the on-screen instructions during the installation process. You may see a security warning referencing www.firstinmath.com. This is normal. Click the "ALLOW" button—check "Never ask again" box to disable warning. If you do not click “Allow”, you will not be able to play, and you may have to reinstall Flash. (if you have previously selected “deny” click this link togo to the Adobe site to fix your settings: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04a.html (Read and follow all directions carefully)
2. SECURITY SETTINGS: High security settings
are often the culprit when students report they cannot play or earn
stickers. Check your browser’s security
settings—if they are set to “high” lower them to
medium and restart your browser. (You can always reset them to high after
your child has finished playing). To see examples
of the screens/menus where you will be able to inspect/make the necessary
changes to your settings:
3. INTERNET CACHE ISSUES: You may need to reset (empty) your browser's Internet cache if you player seems "stuck" or is not advancing. Clearing the Internet cache is often necessary to solve certain web page and browser problems that can occur. The Internet cache is temporary storage area where locally saved copies of recent web pages you have visited, as well as frequently accessed data such as images, are stored for rapid access. Deleting it will not harm your computer. After emptying the cache you will need to QUIT your browser and reopen it.
Security / Firewall Issues
If you are using Firewall Software like 'Zone Lab's Zone Alarm' or 'Symantec's Norton Internet Security' or 'Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall', you will need to configure it to ALLOW "Private Headers" and ALLOW "Session Cookies".
If you need to tell your browser, anti-virus software or firewall to "ALLOW" the First In Math site, the best thing to do is ALLOW ALL FIM addresses, like this:
*.firstinmath.com (show me)
If you cannot use this approach, and need to put in a specific address, use: www.firstinmath.com